Looking back at the history of Hollywood has been a source of inspiration for us at Pop Conscious, so join in on our discussion about our recent outing to the Hollywood Costumes Exhibition at the Oscar Museum. We’ll play the prediction game, Unity-style, and affirmatively declare what we would like to see more of in pop culture and entertainment in 2015. Join us in shaping our collective future!
Malayna’s Pre-Show Notes: LISTEN to hear how the conversation REALLY went! (Especially the part about Jesus Versus the Aliens!)
The Inspiration cycle – an artist is inspired –> inspires others to help create and market –> inspires the audience –> who are inspired to create!
Hollywood Costumes Exhibition at the Oscar Museum – #Hollywood Costume http://www.oscars.org/hollywoodcostume/
- Mary Poppins, Indiana Jones, royalty: Shakespeare in Love, Marie Antoinette,
- Birds, Django Unchained, Sweeney Todd
- Cleopatras, Superheroes, Darth Vader, Meryl Streep
- Titanic, Moulin Rouge, Marilyn Monroe, Wizard of Oz shoes
As You Wish book by Cary Elwes – Heart is the magic ingredient
Downton Abbey ornaments exchanged at Christmas
NEWish shows I checked out and wanna see more like them:
- Agent Carter – 1940’s capable woman agent, after Capt American disappears,
- Scorpion – geniuses solve real word, real-world problems
- Elementary –
- Galavant – Timothy Omundson (Psych) – saw him at the Magic Castle (built 1908)
- Geena Davis Institute for Gender in Media – seejane.org – You have the power to change the face of children’s programming. With your help, if she can see it, she can be it. Your donation will further our research efforts and fund continuing curriculum development for young children.
- “In a World” – Lake Bell
- 2015: The year women take back tech
- Hedy Lamarr – Invention of Spread Spectrum Technology – women-inventors.com/Hedy-Lamarr
Although better known as an actress, she was also an inventor and a pioneer in the field of wireless communications, along with co-inventor George Anthiel, she developed a “Secret Communications System” to help combat the Nazis in World War II. Lamarr and Anthiel received a patent in 1941, but the enormous significance of their invention was not realized until decades later. It was first implemented on naval ships during the Cuban Missile Crisis and subsequently emerged in numerous military applications. But most importantly, the “spread spectrum” technology that Lamarr helped to invent would galvanize the digital communications boom, forming the technical backbone that makes cellular phones, fax machines and other wireless operations possible.
- BFF’s have it all
- Tina Fey & Amy Poehler should play us in a new movie.
- Bentonville Film Festival – Celebrating Women and Diversity in Film is First to Guarantee Theatrical, Television, Digital and Retail Home Entertainment Distribution for Winning Films – Geena Davis : “my message is to look at the world of the movie and make whatever you were already going to make, already planning to write — maybe it’s already written — but before you cast it, go through and change a bunch of first names to women, figure out where you can add characters of diversity and, bam, you’ve really improved the film and broadened the audience and probably made it much more interesting than it was in the first place.
- Shift from lowest common denominator to highest we can reach – celebrating the strength and power within each of us, the heart and the beauty, and not the worst of us. What Oprah did for daytime talk shows, everyone in entertainment can do for whatever media they use. Let’s use pop culture to harness what people are naturally drawn toward and raise them up.