Malayna and Stacy are going to look back at the past year in pop culture to mine it for gems of insight! We’ll look at the trends, events, and highlights, and maybe even provide some follow-ups on past guests. As always, the conversation will turn, and tangents will be traveled, but like a well-told Hollywood tale, the year’s life lessons and themes will be wrapped up with a bow, just for you!
- How to Consume the Media Without Letting It Consume You – Original air date: Monday, January 27, 2014
- When I Grow Up: Then and Now – Original air date: Monday, January 20, 2014
- Sharing Our Pop Culture Influences – Original air date: Monday, January 13, 2014
Our Article: Three Steps to Being a Conscious Consumer of Pop Culture on Unity.org
From the Resource page of Unity.org under 2014 theme
- The 2014 Unity yearly theme is Come Home: Realize Your Higher Self. You always have a home in Spirit, and you carry it with you. When you consciously link your mind with Divine Spirit, you rise to another level of being and living—as your higher Self.
- Jan – Expect Good – I affirm my good and accept the best
|ONE||Unity, One Presence and One Power; divinity; undivided; masculine principle. The number of new beginning.|
- The month of January was named after Janus for his ability to turn one face to reflect upon the past and a yet another face freshly pointed upon the future…. Janus, with all his hindsight and foresight opens doors of both reflection of our past and contemplation of our future.
- In essence, the god Janus is kind of a bellhop or doorman for the mansions within our soul.
- Super Bowl Spirituality and Groundhog Day Gratitude – Original air date: Monday, February 03,
- Love and Olympics: Games People Play – Original air date: Monday, February 10, 2014
- Pop Culture, Presidents, and Metaphysics – Original air date: Monday, February 17, 2014
- Global and Generational Pop Consciousness – celebrity guest Erika Eleniak
Original air date: Monday, February 24, 2014
This week, with celebrity guest Erika Eleniak, the Pop Conscious gals will be discussing pop culture that goes global and what captures the attention of young people. Do movies like E.T., (in which Erika was a cast member) still resonate with young people today?
Erika’s book – What Do You Do, If You Lose Your Lalabaloo? Link on our FB & Twitter, or search amazon “Eleniak Monroe” (Daniel Monroe, illustrator)
- What’s Your Sign – The word February is born from the Latin word Februarius, from Latin februare meaning to “purify” or “expiate.”
- Unity.org – Teach Compassion
- 12 Powers = Strength – green (green = heart chakra in vedic system)
|TWO||Creative principle; male and female; spiritual and material realms.|
- Supernatural, Metaphysical, and Spiritual – Original air date: Monday, March 31, 2014 – w/Sherry Hursey
- What Unity Kids Are Into – Original air date: Monday, March 24, 2014
- Love Powers the World – Original air date: Monday, March 17, 2014 (Stacy shares the five redeeming lessons she learned from watching the TV show The Bachelor, and Malayna shares the messages she gleaned from an international wedding and media that entertained her on her long journey home.)
- The Making of a Minister – Original air date: Monday, March 10, 2014
- The Oscars: The Power of Good Storytelling – Original air date: Monday, March 03, 2014
Sherry Hursey connected us with Lilly’s Light – (lillyslight.com), our sponsor for season 3 and Contagious Optimism! Our current sponsors!
- WYS? – Named after the Roman god of war, Mars, he was also god of agriculture and fertility – spring! “March meaning embodies a kind of reigniting of the hearts and consciousness of humankind. This month we feel the initial kicks of Spring from the deepest womb of the Mother (Earth). And like our ancestors, we are quickened…our soul- palettes are whetted for new conquest and bold assertion and we set a course for forward-momentum.”
- org – Express Wholeness (I am whole in mind, body and spirit)
- 12 Powers = Wisdom, yellow, solar plexus (How do we march forward? What direction is best?)
|THREE||Every level of being –Mind, Idea, Expression; Spirit, Soul and Body; Superconscious, Subconscious and Conscious minds.|
- Pop Music to Rock Your Sundays – Original air date: Monday, April 28, 2014 w/Adam Chester
- Environmental Pop Culture for Earth Day – Original air date: Monday, April 21, 2014
- Be Your Own Superhero – Original air date: Monday, April 14, 2014
- God, Jesus, and the Bible in the Media – Original air date: Monday, April 07, 2014 (Noah movie)
Adam Chester – http://adamchester.com/ – Surrogate Elton, Author of S’mother, and “Eight Days and Nights” in honor of Hanukkah. It’s been played on KOST 103.5FM in Los Angeles for the past several years thanks to the best DJ in the world…Mark Wallengren.
- Wiki – aperire, “to open”, in allusion to its being the season when trees and flowers begin to “open”, which is supported by comparison with the modern Greek use of ἁνοιξις (anoixis) (opening) for spring. Since some of the Roman months were named in honor of divinities, and as April was sacred to the goddess Venus, her Veneralia being held on the first day, it has been suggested that Aprilis was originally her month Aphrilis, from her equivalent Greek goddess name Aphrodite
- org –Create Balance – centered in spirit, my life is in balance
- 12 Powers = Love – Harmonizing power
|FOUR||Foundation. It can be in the form of a time of preparation or the four basic aspects of being – Spiritual, Mental, Emotional, Physical.|