As Stacy returns from the Spiritual Educator’s Retreat for the Unity Southwest Region, Malayna has been celebrating ways of being a godmother. Join them as they explore similar roles and archetypes in fiction, and in life, that can offer kids a wider support system. Whether you’re a “Sparent” or part of the “Auntie Brigade,” an uncle, grandparent, Big Brother, or Sister, you can positively influence a child’s life without even trying. As volunteers or involved family members, we can all make an even bigger difference in their lives and ours. Tune in for inspiration!
- Center for Spiritual and Ethical Education – csee.org/ “Building character, transforming culture”
- For over 100 years, we’ve helped educators assist students in developing congruence between their inner and outer lives. We know that the quest for meaning and purpose in life, and grappling with important questions, lead not just to greater satisfaction in life, but also to greater health.
- CSEE is not affiliated with any religious organization and does not promote a specific religious belief through our programs.
- Character Development [Moral Education, Ethical Education]; Community Service / Service Learning; Grief, Death, Crisis in Schools; Interfaith Understanding; Honor Systems [Codes / Councils]; Spiritual Development; Leadership Development; Teaching the World’s Religions
- We keep a comprehensive calendar of events for all major religions in several formats
- Spiritual Education – Living Wisdom School – https://livingwisdomschool.org/what-does-spiritual-education-mean/ –
- based in teachings of Yogananda, The original Living Wisdom School in Nevada City, California offers children a rigorous academic education in a safe, beautiful rural environment. Sister schools are in Oregon and Washington.
- The purpose of spiritual education is to fulfill the divine potential of children, and to prepare them for life by giving them the tools they need to keep on learning throughout the many experiences that will come to them.
- By teaching children kindness, concentration, will power, strength of character, truthfulness, and other higher qualities, life is made richer.
- Education, rightly understood, is expansion of awareness.
- Category:Spiritual teachers – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Spiritual_teachers
- Spiritual teachers fall into several subcategories: Shaykhs or Sufi teachers, Gurus (including Hindu Gurus, Sant Mat Gurus, and Sikh Gurus), Buddhist teachers, including Tibetan Lamas (which is really simply the Tibetan word for Guru), and Mahasiddhas, who may be claimed by both Buddhist and Hindu There are also many Western spiritual teachers, some claim a spiritual lineage from the East and some do not.
- Living Spiritual Teachers – Spirituality & Practice – spiritualityandpractice.com/teachers/
- The twenty-first century has been dubbed the “age of interspirituality” by Wayne Teasdale and others who are impressed by the increased sharing of wisdom and practices among people coming from different spiritual traditions. It acknowledges that beneath the diversity of our faith and life experiences lies a deeper unity of spirituality.
- an unprecedented array of resources from all the world’s religions and spiritual traditions are now available, and Retreat centers are now offering a wide variety of multi-faith programs.
- Still, many of us only pay attention to teachers in our own tradition. The result is a missed opportunity to expand and deepen our spirituality by learning from the sacred texts and practices of others.
- The “Living Spiritual Teachers Project” is an ongoing project of SpiritualityandPractice.com.
- hopes these brief profiles will make it easier for you to identify living teachers whose wisdom might augment your spiritual journey. We’ve included a brief biography, a list of the teacher’s distinctive contributions to spiritual wisdom, a quotation sampler, plus links to our reviews of his/her books, articles, interviews, audio and video clips, the teacher’s website, and more.
- This Project is very much a work in progress, – includes Dalai Lama, Deepak Chopra, Pema Chodron, Karen Armstrong, Jean Shinoda Bolen, Julia Cameron
- Spiritual Education (SEE) | Unity Institute & Seminary – unityinstitute.org/see
- Whether you want to renew your passion for spirituality, discover new ideas that will change your life, explore practical approaches for everyday living, or develop your biblical knowledge, we have a program for you.
- SEE courses provide practical metaphysical teachings you can use every day to enrich your life. Courses are offered during weeklong sessions on campus at Unity Village or through online and churches/centers.
- Spiritual Heritage Education Network Inc. | Education to Globalize the Human Mind
- spiritualeducation.org/The mission of the Spiritual Heritage Education Network Inc. is to provide educational access to the thinking and findings of those enlightened beings (prophets, sages, philosophers, scientists and seers), who have spent their lives studying the nature of humankind and its relationships in the universe.
- Holistic Education Network Tasmania, Australia – Spirituality in Education – http://www.hent.org/spiritual.htm
- Education should be meaningful for all learners. We need a learner-centered education system built on the explicit assumptions of connectedness, wholeness and being fully human.
- These are the attributes called for by the United Nations, and adopted by many preventative programs to combat depression, suicide and substance abuse by young people. They are the same attributes called for by UNESCO in its report Learning: The Treasure Within, for education for the 21st century that are critically important if countries in the Asia-Pacific are to have a meaningful place in the 21st century with healthy whole citizens.
- The Center for Courage & Renewal, http://www.couragerenewal.org/ –
- focuses on issues in education, community, leadership, spirituality and social change. Teaching the teacher…
“[Our] mission … is not to entertain the children but to call them out…. To be ‘called out’ is to follow the harmonious law
of the soul’s unfoldment.”
National YFM Training
Do you want to have a Unity-based, vibrant, safe educational environment for your children and teens? The best way is by having trained youth and family directors, teachers—and ministers. Check out our annual National YFM Training. (formerly called Child/Teen Ministry Week)
Becoming a Certified Spiritual Educator
Are you making a difference by serving as a youth ministry teacher? The Certified Spiritual Educator training will boost your effectiveness and mastery in the classroom. It is the first-level of certification for those serving the youth of our Unity movement. Won’t you consider participating?
Church of England – https://churchofenglandchristenings.org/godparents/
- Give your time to your godchild to talk to about the bigger questions of life – questions about hope, faith and love.
- Model and encourage them to develop Christian values – being kind and compassionate towards others, being generous towards others in need with time or money and standing against things in the world that cause injustice and suffering.
- Pray for your godchild through the ups and downs of their life and their faith journey.
- Show them practically how to make good choices in life, for themselves and for others. This might mean talking to them about how to stay healthy, how to resist temptations that can harm us and other people, how to care for God’s amazing world and how to handle peer pressure as they grow older.
- Create memories – starting photo albums or scrapbooks with your godchild is a fun way to record the special times you’ll have with them and their family.
- Remember their birthday and christening anniversaries – send a card with a personal message.
- Go to their church – if you don’t live too far away, going with your godchild to their local church is a great way to show your support.
- Visit a nature park – the countryside is full of healthy and interesting ways to discover more about God’s amazing world and how to look after it. Visitor centres in nature reserves and parks might even offer children’s activities.
- Share Bible stories – well-loved Bible stories that teach us about how to be kind, care for others and trust Jesus are available in child-friendly books, games and films. Find out more.
- Talk to them about other children – one day your godchild will begin to understand there are other children across the world who live without enough food, shelter or love. Talk to them about the purpose of charities and how they can bless other children by giving in some way.
- Visit your nearest cathedral – as your godchild grows up, they’ll be learning about faith at school. Cathedrals are breathtaking places which often have special days for children’s learning activities. Take photos to capture the memories!
- Keep in touch – there are so many ways to stay in touch these days, even if you live far away, you can always be there for your godchild. Just knowing you’re there to talk may be the simplest but one of the best gifts you can give them.
- Pray – praying for your godchild is something you can do any time, anywhere. Find out more.
WIKIPEDIA – Godparent & Fairy GodmotherGodparent – “Sponsors” , spiritual co-parents, acted as guarantors of the child’s spiritual upbringing,
In fairy tales, a fairy godmother (French: fée marraine) is a fairy with magical powers who acts as a mentor or parent to someone, in the role that an actual godparent was expected to play in many societies.
French literary fairy tales, fairy godmothers act much as actual godmothers did among their social circles, exerting their benefits for their godchildren, but expecting respect in return.
Bibbidy bobbidy boo!In the film Maleficent, Aurora mistakenly assumes Maleficent to be this, as the latter had been watching out for her since she was little, though the princess doesn’t know about her curse, or the person who cast it. (Fairies = Flora, Fauna and Merriweather)
Mama Odie is the 197-year-old, blind Voodoo lady of the Bayou who appears in Disney’s The Princess and the Frog. She helps Tiana and Prince Naveen find what is really important, not always what you want, but what you need. Through the film, she acts as a fairy godmother, and of course, she shows motherly actions, in showing Tiana and Naveen the right path. Mama Odie also uses her good voodoo to counter Dr. Facilier’s dark voodoo magic, saving frog Tiana and Naveen from near disaster. Mama Odie also has her “Seeing Eye” snake, Juju, who helps her with her daily activities. Also referred to as “The Fairy Godmother of the Bayou”, Mama Odie is also the one who weds Princess Tiana and Prince Naveen at the end of the movie. She is kind, loving, and is very motherly.
In the TV Series True Blood, Season 4, Episode 1, the character Sookie learns she has a Fairy Godmother.
In Shrek 2, the fairy godmother (Jennifer Saunders) who appears is an evil twin sister of Cinderella’s fairy godmother. She is a conniving, crooked businesswoman (with a personality rather like that of the Stepmother in Cinderella), who is quite willing to resort to blackmail and/or murder to further her own interests. The pure reason for helping princesses gain a happily ever after with Prince Charming is the fact that Prince Charming is actually the Fairy Godmother’s son, and through the marriage he will gain the throne.
A Simple Wish – Murray is a male fairy godmother, and he’s trying to help 8-year-old Anabel to fulfill her “simple wish” – that her father Oliver, who is a cab driver, would win the leading role in a Broadway musical. Unfortunately, Murray’s magic wand is broken and the fairies convention is threatened by evil witches Claudia and Boots. – Martin Short and Mara Wilson (Matlida)
Ella Enchanted – Anne Hathaway, Joanna Lumley, Cary Elwes
Descendants – Ben, the teenaged son of King Beast and Queen Belle, invites the exiled children of defeated villains to attend a prep school with the heroes’ children. The plot follows these teenagers adjusting to life outside the Isle of the Lost, while on a mission to steal the Fairy Godmother’s wand and free their parents from captivity. The film debuted on July 31, 2015 as a Disney Channel Original Movie, with positive reviews and 6.6 million viewers.