Books:Contagious Optimism: Uplifting Stories and Motivational Advice for Positive Forward Thinking by David Mezzapelle
Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life by Martin E. P. SeligmanCreating Optimism by Bob Murray and Alicia Fortinberry
Radical Optimism: Practical Spirituality in an Uncertain World by Beatrice BruteauThe Art of Happiness, 10th Anniversary Edition: A Handbook for Living by Dalai LamaThe Geography of Bliss: One Grump’s Search for the Happiest Places in the World by Eric WeinerSongs:Happy – PharrellWhat a Wonderful World – Louis ArmstrongDon’t Worry, Be Happy – Bobby McFerrin
When I need a boost of positive thinking I turn to ideas that catch me, cuz ideas are catching
- Movies like The Secret or What the Bleep – (Celebrates its 10th Anniversary at AwakenedWorldFilmFestival.com or AGNT.org
- …or Jane Austen movies, or the mythology of Harry Potter, or Joe V. the Volcano – cartoony Hero’s Journey
- TV that guarantees a laugh – Friends, I Love Lucy, or have messages like Grey’s Anatomy, Sex in the City,
- Music – singing and dancing around the house is vibratory, physical, endorphins – walking
Event Last night – I experienced such a high! With Friends from KROQ – a place I loved so much I volunteered (and got college credit). We went to see the band ABC at the Saban Theater in Beverly Hills. We went up to say hi to Richard Blade, the DJ we worked with 26 years ago (Richard can still be heard, nationwide on Sirius XM on First Wave.) And he announced to the whole theater, on mic, that we used to be his interns. A girl I knew from working at R&R — Radio & Records, (not the new Unity Online Radio show with Revs Richard Maraj & Richard Rogers…shout out to our former Regional Consultant, Stacy’s predecessor!) came over to say hi to Tracey and we got to be reconnected. All of us ended up being superfans in the front row, making eye-contact with Martin Fry and band members while we mouthed the words of Be Near Me, Poison Arrow, The Look of Love, When Smokey Sings, All of My Heart, How to be a Millionaire, Vanity Kills… Richard Blade seems ageless, as does Martin Fry – what’s their secret? I think it’s doing what they love.
Yesterday’s Daily Word – Inspire (10/5/14):
“Inspiration comes through many channels—people I meet, places I visit, words and pictures that stir my heart and spirit. When I am inspired, I feel new energy and connect to something bigger than myself. I aspire to reach new heights and achieve goals I may not have imagined possible. …I am confident and excited about the possibilities ahead. With God as my guide, I am motivated to grow beyond my self-imposed limits and to claim my happiness and be of service to others. I respond to Spirit’s call with confidence and joy.”
I boiled my high down to three basic things:
- Friends: people who understand and support you in being who you are, people who lift you up and give you the courage to your best and most authentic self.
- Passions: doing what you love…so much you’d do it without getting paid for it…what excites you, lights you up. The spiritual power of Zeal, enthusiasm. When you’re doing that with others who feel the same, your energy seems to be multiplied exponentially. “Great energy”
- Overcoming Challenges: Being positive doesn’t mean that we pretend challenges don’t exist – it means looking beyond the challenge, knowing that it’s not the (whole) Truth. Sharing ways that we’ve overcome, and reminding each other is empowering.
Unity grew out of a group of like-minded people seeking to overcome challenges positively too – as did CSL, AA,
Contagious Optimism These are encapsulated in this event this weekend – great stories, time to talk with them, make friends with people of like mind, shared passions, positive music, and break bread – dinner!